Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wool Soup

Those of you who know me well know that I am a fairly adventurous eater. I am willing to try most things at least once and often find that indeed I like them. Since I have been here, I have indulged in things such as corvina ceviche (raw fish in a citrusy dressing), queso del campo (raw milk cheese made on the farm... you all know I am squirmish about milk being left out, so this is a big one for me) and octopus. Octopus was actually quite good and possibly my favorite out of those. It tastes sort of like scallop. Not as chewy as one would expect.

So, you see, I was not expecting this one that drew the line for me, that said, "No more! This is too crazy for me!" It was lambs' tail soup. The name actually sounds enticing. Lamb, mmmm. Soup, mmmm. There is one small problem, and that is that the tail contains a LOT of wool. So much, apparently, that it's nearly impossible to remove it all, and even the best cooks have bits of wool remaining in the soup. "Bits" is somewhat extreme... it's more like a piece here and there which actually makes it all the more disturbing to me. I have tried it twice now and twice I have lasted about 3 bites. Wool soup I just cannot do.

1 comment:

MommyV said...

I give you credit, I wouldn't have made it past the first taste! :-)