Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sicky McSickerson

Blah, I'm sick. I've been sick since Wednesday. Being sick sucks in the first place, but it especially sucks when you're away from home, which I still feel like I am. If I were back in Lakewood, I would have spent the last 5 days curled up on the couch with Shady at my head and Mister at my feet, with my computer and one of my myriad books, and bowls of Joe's chicken soup (or better yet... Dad's chicken soup). I'd have whiled away the hours in comfort and warmth, often snuggling up to my "hot stick"-- ie the bean filled bag you toss in the microwave for a few minutes and it stays warm for over an hour.

Instead, Nick and I have been at the Farm since Friday with no central heating and exactly one book. (I could only fit 5 in my luggage so I have to limit myself to one book a week, and even then I'll have to find 1-3 more here to fill up the rest of the time...) I'd make my own hot stick except there's no microwave here either. Aaaaand the kitties are back in Santiago. So it has been a bit rough. The best part, though, is the bed warmer. Whoever invented such a device deserves a Nobel Prize for Comfort. While staying at the Farm can sometimes be like glorified camping, the bed warmer keeps it just within the realm of civilization and is the saving grace while I have been sick here. And actually, being sick gives me a reason to stay in it all day :)

What would a good blog be without a recipe? We devised a tasty soup today to help soothe my throat and clear my sinuses, so I thought I'd share it. It probably tastes good even when you're not sick.

Spicy Mushroom Soup
1 pint mushrooms (we just used white but I bet shiitake would be amazing)
1 onion
1/2 liter chicken stock
2 T paprika (we used spicy)
Cayenne pepper to taste
A bit of butter/oil mix for sauteeing

Chop the onion into little bits and begin sauteeing in a tablespoon or so of butter with a drop of oil on it to keep it from browning. Brush off the mushrooms if necessary and then cut into 1/4" cubes. Add them to the onion and continue to sautee everything until it begins to brown and the mushrooms have reabsorbed their liquid. Add the paprika and sautee for another 2-4 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock and simmer for about 10 minutes. Voila! Add the cayenne to taste, although if you use spicy paprika it may not be necessary. You can also serve with a dollop of cream in it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing saddens a mom like knowing her child is not feeling well and she can't do a thing for her! The only comfort for me is knowing you are with Nick as I know he will take care of you. I hope you feel better soon honey!! Oh, and just remember WHO taught your Dad how to make the soup! *grin* Looking for to Skyping with you again soon.
Love & Miss you much! -Mommy!

Unknown said...

OOPS! I know you know I meant looking FORWARD to Skyping with you! :)

I am just teasing about the soup you know! It tickles me Dad likes to cook.